About Us

​History

​The Electric Light Department has served the Town of Ipswich for over 100 years.  The first power plant was originally built to pump water into town from Bull Brook.  Not long after, however, the Town voted to establish an electric light system to illuminate the streets. 

Visit our History page to learn more.
Ipswich Power Plant in circa 1900

Governance

​The Electric Light Department is governed by the Town’s Board of Selectmen acting as Electric Light Commissioners.  The Department is also served by the Electric Subcommittee which is an advisory group that meets nearly every month to discuss topics such as budgets, operations, rate design, and policy.

Visit our Governance page to learn more.
June 2017 BOS Photo