- High Street Water Main
High Street Water Main Replacement
The Ipswich Water Department recently upgraded approximately 6,800 feet (or 1.3 miles) of existing 12” diameter cast iron water main on High Street, between the Ipswich Utilities Complex at 272 High Street and the intersection with Kimball Avenue. This existing 12” diameter cast iron water main was originally installed in 1895 and has been serving as a backbone of the water distribution system for over 120 years.
Over the past two years, several water main breaks have occurred on High Street and caused disruption to the Town’s residents, businesses, and commuters. Replacement of the affected portion of water main was expedited to improve the level of service along this section of the water distribution system.
The project was substantially completed in the Fall of 2020.
The replaced 12" cast iron water main was discontinued and left in place for potential reuse to convey Browns Well water to the Water Treatment Plant to remove excess manganese. The additional treatment of Browns Well water would restore the well's full authorized operating capacity of 0.49 million gallons per day (mgd). The well has been reduced to 0.20 mgd since 2013 to manage manganese levels.
In Fall 2021, the department finalized design of utilizing the old 12" cast iron water main as a sleeve for a new 8" water main that would bring Browns Well water to the Water Treatment Plant for further treatment. By installing the new water main inside of the old 12" water main, excavation and roadway disruptions will be greatly minimized. Both Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) and manganese from this source will be treated and restored the well can be restored to full operation.
Installation of the new 8-inch HPDE water main between Browns Well and the Water Treatment Plant will begin in December of 2021 by Contractor, N. Granese and Sons.
Full curb to curb paving along High Street will be completed in Spring 2022 from 272 High Street to Kimball Avenue
For project details and updates, refer to the information below or contact our office at (978) 356-6635. Thank you for your patience and cooperation during this important project.
High Street at Town Farm Road c. 1900, about five years after the existing 12" cast iron water main was installed
Photo by Edward Lee Darling (1874-1962), Courtesy of Bill Barton and Gordon Harris, Ipswich Town Historian
Project Scope (water main to convey Browns Well water to Water Treatment Plant)
- Installation of a new 8-inch HPDE water main between Browns Well and the Water Treatment Plant located at 274 High Street. The new pipe will be installed inside the old 12-inch cast iron water main that was recently replaced. This pipe is a transmission main between the well and the treatment plant and will not be connected to the water main serving your property, therefore no water service impacts are anticipated.
- Map of Project Limits
Project Scope (Replacement of old 12" cast iron water main)
- Replace approximately 6,800 feet of 124-year old 12” diameter cast iron (CI) water main with new 12” diameter ductile iron (DI) water main on High Street between Ipswich Utilities Complex at 272 High Street and the intersection with Kimball Avenue
- Map of Project Limits
- Installation of new 8" water main will begin December 13, 2021.
- Design of 8" water main inside of old 12" cast iron pipe that was left in place to bring Browns Well to Water Treatment Plant.
- Project substantially competed Fall 2020. Final paving Spring 2022.
- Limited work will begin December 12, 2019 on side streets intersecting with High Street.
- Construction on High Street is expected to start in 2019.
- May 14, 2019: Annual Town Meeting vote on Article 10 authorized funding for the High Street water main replacement project.
- April 8 - May 17, 2019: Prior to construction on High Street, the Water Department will undertake related work on Mile Lane that is expected to improve customer water quality. (Resident Notice)
Other Related Documents
- High Street Water Main Replacement Project Notification 12-9-19
- High Street MassDOT Access Permit Application Response to Comments 6-12-19
- High Street Determination of Applicability 5-2-19
- High Street RDA Package 4-8-19
- High Street MassDOT Access Permit Application 3-21-19
- High Street Water Upgrades Project Notification 12-8-2021