Description: The purpose of the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Board (“the Board”) is to provide community leaders and Ipswich residents with a variety of safety imperatives and business initiatives, both near and long term, to make Ipswich a safer, more practical, accessible and economically attractive place for residents and visitors to cycle and walk. Information provided by the Board will allow managers and residents to better appreciate community needs, identify a range of opportunities, envision various planning scenarios, and make thoughtful and effective decisions.
Vision: The Board envisions a safer community that includes the following:
• Zero fatalities and serious injuries,
• Pedestrian facilities on at least one side of “priority routes” and/or “safety zones”,
• Bikeway network that supports safe and comfortable riding for all.
Tasks: To enhance safety for all residents, the Board will coordinate with relevant stakeholders, including DPW, Planning and Police, to perform the following:
• Design review: Serve as a resource for how to incorporate cycling and pedestrian safety components into upcoming road projects.
• Standards: Provide advice on the establishment of road design standards and implementation of Safe Routes to School.
• Planning: Assist in building and maintaining a Plan for Non-Automotive Transport that would be consulted when executing long-term capital projects.
• Funding: Assist the town to apply for funding non-automotive transport projects.
• Community Outreach: Help coordinate discussions with the community about upcoming projects, problem areas, etc